British Railways - The Early Years: 1948 to 1961 (DVD)
A definitive archive film led history of the early years of Britain's nationalised rail network.
Among the locomotives featured are the A4 Pacific Class, the First diesel-electric loco no. 10000, the BR standard Britannia class, 9F class 'Evening Star', the Deltic prototype, the Peak D1, D.M.U's, Warships, Westerns, the Blue Pullman and the Glasgow Blue Electrics.
• The formation of the British Transport Commission
• A review of post-nationalisation motive power and the locomotive trials
• An overview of the resulting BR Standard Class steam locomotives
• The 1955 'Modernisation Plan'
• First generation diesel-electric locomotives
• The Western Region diesel-hydraulics
• The relative merits of steam and diesel traction
• Various suburban electrification schemes
• Freight, marshalling yards, goods depots, mail trains, cars by rail and many more...
• Alan Pegler OBE – railway preservation pioneer and saviour of the Flying Scotsman
• Jim Rees of the National Railway Museum
• Engine drivers of the mainline steam era John Fletcher and Ted Abear
We Also Recommend
The Brothers: Complete Collection (DVD)