The Complete Jazz Modes Sessions - Charlie Rouse & Julius Watkins (CD)
The complete recordings by The Jazz Modes, an experimental small jazz formation fronted by Charlie Rouse on tenor sax and Julius Watkins on French horn, plus Gildo Mahones on piano.
With slight personnel variations, this group recorded a total of five albums, most of which are now very hard to find. All of these LPs are included here in their entirety and in chronological order
A member of big bands, among them those of Billy Eckstine, Dizzy Gillespie, and Duke Ellington, Charlie Rouse is best remembered for his more than ten years as a member of the Thelonious Monk Quartet.
One of the first and probably the best jazz French horn player, Julius Watkins recorded with numerous jazz greats, including John Coltrane, Freddie Hubbard, Charles Mingus, Miles Davis and Gil Evans, Phil Woods, Clark Terry, Quincy Jones, Johnny Griffin, Randy Weston, and the Jazz Composer's Orchestra.
As a bonus, we have included three further complete albums, all of which were originally issued as 10” LPs. Oscar Pettiford’s Oscar Rides Again is the only other existing album, outside of the Jazz Modes body of work, to feature both Rouse and Watkins in the front line. The two volumes by the Julius Watkins Sextet, on the other hand, present Watkins in the company of other celebrated tenor saxophonists: Frank Foster and Hank Mobley.
- Charlie Rouse - tenor sax
- Julius Watkins - French horn
- Gildo Mahones - piano
- On all tracks, plus:
- CD ONE [1-6]: JAZZVILLE ’56, Vol.1 (Dawn DLP1101):
- Paul West (b), Art Taylor (d).
- New York, June 1956.
- CD ONE [7-16]: LES JAZZ MODES (Dawn DLP1108):
- Paul Chambers (b), Oscar Pettiford (b, replaces Chambers on 11, 12 & 14 only), Janet Putnam (harp on 8 & 10 only), Ron Jefferson (d), Eileen Gilbert (soprano vocals on 8, 12 & 14 only).
- New York, June 12, 1956.
- CD ONE [17-22] & CD TWO [1-5]: MOOD IN SCARLET (Dawn LP1117):
- Martin Rivera (b), Ron Jefferson (d), Chino Pozo (bongos on CD One, 20-21 only), Eileen Gilbert (soprano vocals on CD Two, 1-2 only).
- New York, December 4, 1956.
- CD TWO [6-14]: THE MOST HAPPY FELLA(Atlantic LP1280):
- Martin Rivera (b), Ron Jefferson (d), Chino Pozo (conga & bongos), Eileen Gilbert (soprano vocals on 10 only).
- New York, November 7, 1957.
- CD TWO [15-18] & CD THREE [1-4]: THE JAZZ MODES (Atlantic LP1306):
- CD TWO (15, 16 & 18) & & CD THREE (2): Sahib Shihab (bar), Martin Rivera (b), Jimmy Wormworth (d).
- New York, 1959.
- CD TWO  & CD THREE [1, 3 & 4]: Martin Rivera (b), Ron Jefferson (d), Chino Pozo (congas, bongos), Eileen Gilbert (soprano vocals).
- New York, October 28, 1959.
We Also Recommend
20th Victim - James patterson (Audiobook)
A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood (DVD)